Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Linken Update


My little Linken is a trooper!!! I can't help but love the little guy.

Well, last week I took Linken in for his 6 month check up. My normal doc wasn't there, but I was very impressed with the "substitute doc". I was concerned with his development. He still isn't sitting up and doesn't crawl or anything. So when she examined him, she agreed that he was behind in his gross motor skills. I asked if it would be related to the craniosynitosis or the surgery at all. She didn't think so, but wants him to work with the CDC (child development center) here to help him develop. I commented on how they are familiar with us, since that's who is working with Brooklyn on her speech and Kynadi with her Scoliosis. This put some red flags up for the doc and she found it interesting that all my kids have "issues". She mentioned maybe we should see a geneticist to see if there is some connection. Hmmm...who knows.

Then as she continued to examine Linken. She listened to his heart for quite some time. She said she heard a heart murmur and thought it would be best to have an x-ray of his lungs and heart to make sure nothing looked abnormal. After discovering this she thought Linken could have a "syndrome" of some sort which would cause the murmur and the craniosynitosis. Nothing conclusive, but she just wanted us to be on top of things. So anyway, after that appointment we went to the hospital and had the x-ray. The next day the doc called back and said Linken's heart looked like it was enlarged. She said we should go get an EKG for Link, so we did. The EKG didn't seem to show anything abnormal. But she called after she got the results of it, and said we should probably see a cardiologist at Primary Children's just to make sure there isn't anything wrong with his heart. So more visits to UT for us. Great.

I wasn't so concerned about the visits to UT as to what is going on with my little boys heart. The first couple of days after learning all of this I was pretty worried. I didn't want his heart to stop working all of a sudden. It really made me think and realize how precious life is. What if something did happen? I found myself wanting to hold him more and spend more time with each of my kids. I don't ever want to regret not holding or caring for them enough. It puts life in perspective for me. Anyway, there maybe nothing to worry about, which I hope is the case, but we'll find out more when we see the cardiologist on August 28th!!! (that was the first opening they had a PC's--nothing like making me wait and worry more!)

2 comments:

Holly said...

I'm sure little Linken will be just fine, what a cutie! Hopefully we get to meet him in a few weeks!

Janalyn said...

That's not fun stuff to think about. Have you guys been to the genetic counselor yet?
I'll be checking in for updates, as always. Linken is such a cute boy.