Sunday, May 30, 2010

My Sweet Grandma Walker




These are some of my favorite pictures right now. They were taken about a month or two ago, and are the last pictures I have with my Grandma Walker. I'm so grateful I got to see her this day. She has had a long battle with cancer and wasn't doing well. We had gone down just to visit her, but because of her doctors appointment that day, the visit was short. John took the kids so they weren't running around like maniacs and I got to visit with her for about an hour and a half. It was nice. This was the last time I saw my Grandma in a somewhat normal way. She was completely coherent and we had a normal conversation just about everyday life. The next and last time I saw her after this trip, she was not as coherent and did not get out of bed...she was very frail and ready to be done with this earthly life.
I'm so glad I took the time to see her this day...even if it was for just a short while. Grandma was funny....when John came to pick me up, I hesitated to let the kids come in since Brooklyn hadn't been feeling that well. Grandma insisted it was fine. So they came in and I asked if we could all get a picture. Grandma had just had a treatment and had to stay lying down for the day, but she got up to take the pictures with all of us. I was trying to be a bit selective with Brooklyn and her sickness, and Grandma said, "it's fine, what's the worste that could happen", then scooped Brooklyn right up on her lap. John and I had a good chuckle at this. I guess if your on your last leg of life, she made a good point.
Anyway, Grandma passed away on May 20th and I miss her lots, but I also know she's happy. She was an incredible woman, and I feel blessed to be as old as I am and to have had her in my life for so long.
I'll post more about her and her funeral later, but I was looking at these pics and just thinking about her now.

No comments: